Saturday, January 12, 2013

Wheat-Free Blueberry Scones

I've really been craving scones lately, and since I had some fresh blueberries on hand, I decided to experiment with wheat-free blueberry scones. The recipe (from Petit Foodie)  that I followed sounded good, but I added a few of my own twists. With the addition of quinoa flour, oat flour, vanilla bean paste, and greek yogurt, I think I found a winner. Mind you, because I used spelt flour these are wheat-free, but not totally free of gluten. You can try using just oat flour in place of the spelt flour for gluten-free.


 


Ingredients:

2 cups gluten free oat flour
1/3 cup quinoa flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp agave nectar
1/4 cup baking truvia sugar (or you can use 1/2 cup white sugar, or omit completely)
8 tbsp cold butter (1 stick, chopped)
3/4 cup almond milk (or any milk you like)
1/4 cup greek yogurt
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tbsp lemon
1 egg white (for glazing)
raw sugar for sprinkling
3/4 cup fresh blueberries

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Mix flours, baking powder, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl. Cut in the cold butter (or process in food processor) until pea-sized lumps form. Add in lemon juice, vanilla bean paste, greek yogurt, and milk, and mix until just incorporated. Fold in blueberries and move dough onto a floured surface and pat down to an 8-10 inch circle. Cut into 8 triangles and place onto baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly baste beaten egg white on each scone and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake 15 min, until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Honey & Brie • Template by mable+mint