Monday, August 30, 2010

Tomatillo Soup

I've been looking up new soup recipes because I love soup and it's a great filler, especially if you're looking to drop a few pounds. I came across this tomatillo soup recipe and decided to try it out with my own little twists. I added shredded chicken to it and some quinoa to make it a bit heartier. Not bad at all! I think next time I will boil the tomatillos in a pot of their own and then blend them, because I didn't really like the chunks of soft tomatillos. But if you're into that, then go for it!














Ingredients

2 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 can of corn
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
7-10 tomatillos, husked and chopped
2 c water
3 c chicken stock
juice of 2 limes
2 t salt
2 t cumin
1/2 c chopped cilantro (I opted out because I don't like cilantro)

In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, stirring, and sauté 5 minutes, until onion is translucent. Stirring, add jalapenos and sauté 2 minutes. Add tomatillos, chicken stock, water, lime juice, salt, cumin and cilantro. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in cooked quinoa (or rice), and cooked chicken and simmer, 5 minutes. Season to taste. Remove from heat and ladle into soup bowls. Top with avocado slices, cheese, sour cream, or all three! Serve with chips on the side.

(If you'd prefer the blended tomatillo version, before sauteing the onions, garlic and jalapenos, bring the chopped tomatillos, water, and chicken stock to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. Let it cool then blend it in a blender and add to the onion, garlic, and jalapeno mixture. Then add the lime, cumin, salt, and cilantro, chicken and quinoa, and let simmer 5 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Honey & Brie • Template by mable+mint